Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Journey of Slam Jackson - Part I

The NRWL has been following Slam Jackson while he is on leave from the company. Jackson left the NRWL before the start of the fifth season because he felt he had let down the Slam Nation, his loyal fans. This series, "The Journey of Slam Jackson", documents one man on his path to return to the NRWL and make an impact like never before.

*Slam Jackson is in a wrestling ring inside of a small gym. The ceiling isn't very high, there is no padding outside the ring, and the other wrestlers are standing outside. Slam looks tired. He is sweating profusely and breathing heavy. Leaning against a corner turnbuckle, he looks ready to take a break.*

Slam Jackson: That was eight guys. Are we done?

*A man on the outside, clearly the trainer of this wrestling school, climbs into the ring. He is wearing a T-Shirt, sweatpants, and a baseball cap. He shakes his head, takes his cap off his head and runs his hand through his hair. He puts the cap back on and walks up to Slam Jackson. The man is wrestling legend and NRWL Hall of Famer, Mike Blood.*

Mike Blood: If you have to ask that question, then it's obvious we still have a lot of work to do. No. We're not done.

SJ: I've been running the drills everyday. I've gone through all the wrestling holds. I've fought off everyone you threw at me. What is it you want from me?

MB: Slam, when I agreed to take you on as a student, I knew I didn't need to teach you the basics. I knew I didn't need to teach you the advanced holds, submissions, or anything else like that. I knew from the first time I saw you in the NRWL that you had all those tools. What you didn't have, and you still don't have, is the attitude. You can have your fun but not at the expense of the hard work. That's why Johnny walked away with your championship. Quite easily, I might add. We aren't done. Tom, get in the ring and show Slam what a hungry wrestler is like in the ring.

*Tom Shire, long time student of Mike Blood and a former NRWL Minor League wrestler, steps into the ring. Both men grapple. Slam tries to fight him off but Shire gets the upper hand and pins Slam after a few minutes.*

Tom Shire: I never take this lightly, Jackson. I was so close to making it to the NRWL main roster. SO CLOSE! I'm not there yet and you know what? I haven't given up. I'm going to be there. I am going to earn my spot. At the rate you are going, you'll never see those bright lights again.

*Slam, sitting on the mat with his head in his hands pants heavily. He slams a fist down on the mat. Mike Blood and Tom Shire walk out of the ring.*

It was a tough day for Slam Jackson but he kept coming back. One month later, Slam Jackson found himself face to face with Tom Shire once again. It was a hard fought battle and everyone in the gym was on their feet, anxious to see who would win.

*Slam Jackson irish whips Tom Shire into the ropes and delivers a hard clothesline. Slam immediately capitalizes with an STF. Shire, in desperate need to escape, manages to reach the ropes. Slam breaks the hold. As Shire begins to stand up, Slam drops him with the Street Sweeper. Slam goes for the pin and Mike Blood, acting as referee, counts to three.*

Later that day after everyone has cleaned up the gym, packed their bags, and began to leave, Mike Blood pulled Slam Jackson aside and took him to his office.

MB: Slam, I have to say, I am very impressed with you over the last few weeks. I've been pretty hard on you and there was a time when I thought you wouldn't come back. I am sorry for doubting you but I'm happy that you stuck with it. I think you've come a long, long way.

SJ: Thank you, Mike. I was serious about this from the start. I want to get back to the NRWL and I want the NRWL Championship again. Working with you was the right thing to do. I'm glad I am here.

MB: I'm happy to hear that and I hope you got what you were expecting from my school. For now, I think we've come to the end. My door is always open to you and you are welcome to train with my group anytime you'd like. You have business elsewhere now. I know you haven't been watching but the NRWL has moved quickly in your absence. It has become a rougher, meaner environment. You need to be prepared.

SJ: What should I do?

MB: There are friends of mine down south that you should spend some time with. I think if you hang out with them for a little while, you'll thicken your skin enough to take those extreme matches that await you.

SJ: Ok. Where do I find these guys?

*Mike hands Slam a piece of paper.*

MB: Call this number and ask for Terry or Bobby. Tell them I sent you.